Brekeke Forum Index » Brekeke SIP Server Forum

Logging session / debug logs to stdout
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Logging session / debug logs to stdout Reply with quote

1. Brekeke Product Name and Version:
3.14.7.4, Advanced

2. Java version:
openjdk-11-jdk

3. OS type and the version:
AWS ECS / docker - amzn2.x86_64

4. UA (phone), gateway or other hardware/software involved:
Freeswitch

5. Your problem:
Is there a way to configure Brekeke SIP Server to log to stdout instead of sip/WEB-INF/work/sv/log/2024? Specifically the SIP Session and Debug logs?

In an AWS ECS environment stdout / stderr gets logged/streamed to Cloudwatch.
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add lines below in [Configuration]->[Advanced] page.
Code:
## For outputting Session Log in stdout.
file.log.session.plugin=com.brekeke.common.LoggingConsole

## For outputting Server Log in stdout.
file.log.plugin=com.brekeke.common.LoggingConsole
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. I have tried those settings and do see the log data is no longer being written to disk, but I also do not see anything in stdout.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also add this line in [Configuration]->[Advanced] page.
Code:
sv.enable.consoleout=true
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harold,

Unfortunately that didn't help.

I've got the following in [Configuration]->[Advanced]:

Code:

file.log.plugin=com.brekeke.common.LoggingConsole
file.log.session.plugin=com.brekeke.common.LoggingConsole
sv.enable.consoleout=true

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirmed that the settings above writes logs for stdout in Linux.

So I can see logs from the command below.
cat /proc/<pid>/fd/1
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enable following logging Categories in [Diagnostics]->[Debug Logs] page?

SIP Session, Registrar
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harold,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, SIP Session is checked in [Diagnostics]->[Debug Logs]. We're not using registration. Here's what I've discovered -

If I run a ps -ef on the Brekeke SIP Server process, it will yield something like this:

root 9564 8979 1 16:34 ? [truncated]
9564 is the PID
8979 is the PPID

If I "echo test >> /proc/8979/fd/1", I can see the entry using docker logs <container>, as well as in Cloudwatch. However, Brekeke is using PID, /proc/9564/fd/1, and those don't appear in Cloudwatch nor docker logs.

From the Tomcat point of view I've insured that it is configured to only log using ConsoleHandler.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Mike
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run the ps command, there are several java processes, not only SIP Server.

You can check the SIP Server's PID at [PID] filed in [Status]->[SIP Server] page.
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harold,

Yes, you're correct, I see the other java processes. The problem as I see it is that the Brekeke stream is not being outputted to the main process of the container (PID 1 inside the container). Docker only captures the stdout and stderr of the main process.

Thanks,
Mike
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Linux as a host OS to run Docker, you can get a PID of a process running inside a Docker container.

With this PID, can you access to SIP Server's STDOUT?
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harold,

Yes, I can get the PIDs -

Code:

$ sudo docker top 4139f011f70a
UID                 PID                 PPID                C                   STIME               TTY                 TIME                CMD
root                7017                6944                0                   09:15               ?                   00:00:57            /usr/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/share/tomcat9/conf/logging.properties -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize=2048 -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.catalina.webresources -Dorg.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener.UMASK=0027 -Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128 -Dignore.endorsed.dirs= -classpath /usr/share/tomcat9/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/bin/tomcat-juli.jar -Dcatalina.base=/usr/share/tomcat9 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat9 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/share/tomcat9/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
root                7200                7017                0                   09:15               ?                   00:00:46            /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Duser.dir=/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/work/sv -Dhsqldb.reconfig_logging=false -Xrs -classpath /usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/classes:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/ondoutil.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/ondooss.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/hsqldb.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/lib/tools.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:null org.hsqldb.server.Server --props db_r.properties
root                29702               7017                3                   17:51               ?                   00:00:03            /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Xrs -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/classes:/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/lib/tools.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/common/classes:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/catalina-ha.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/annotations-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-util-scan.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/servlet-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-i18n-es.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/el-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/catalina-tribes.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-dbcp.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/jaspic-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/jasper-el.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/jsp-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/catalina-ant.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-i18n-ru.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/catalina-storeconfig.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-i18n-ja.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/jasper.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-jni.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-websocket.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/catalina.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-i18n-fr.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-util.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/tomcat-jdbc.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/lib/websocket-api.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/javax.mail.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/activation.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/ondoutil.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/hsqldb.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/br10.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/smtp.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/remoteweb-agent.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-core-2.18.0.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/pop3.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/br11.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/mailapi.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/ondooss.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-core.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/radiusplugin.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/TFplugin.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/jradiusclient.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/ondosip.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-api-2.18.0.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/json_simple-1.1.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar:/usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/lib/commons-lang3-3.1.jar:null -Xmx256m com.brekeke.ondo.sv -f /usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/work/sv/sv_r.properties -d /usr/share/tomcat9/webapps/sip/WEB-INF/work/sv -product Brekeke SIP Server -e 5 -l 15

Brekeke logs to 29702 and, from while on the Linux host, if I cat 29702, I can see the Brekeke log stream.

The issue is that the contents streaming to 29702 (/proc/29702/fd/1) do not get sent to Cloudwatch, because 29702 is not the main process of the container, 7017 is (/proc/7017/fd/1) and Docker only captures the stdout and stderr of the main process.

So for example, if I run the following:

Code:

$ echo "test to main process id" >> /proc/7017/fd/1
$ echo "test to process id brekeke is streaming to" >> /proc/29702/fd/1

and then look at Cloudwatch, I see only the message sent to the main process id, 7017 (/proc/7017/fd/1)

Code:

[2024-02-23T12:59:03-05:00] (brekeke-sip-server) test to main process id

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Thanks,
Mike
vinylmike
Brekeke Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with a sidecar approach, using fluentd. This appears to not be a Brekeke SIP Server issue and more with how docker/Cloudwatch work.

Thanks for your help.
Harold
Brekeke Master Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brekeke Forum Index » Brekeke SIP Server Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1